Monday, March 15, 2010

Above the Bog

 Well, I finished this huge piece (3x4 feet) and with help, found a title. Here's the artist statement.

Influenced by a recent trip to Ireland, I’ve blended and mended my memories of the beauty and variety of the luscious rich green hills and meadows, the kindness and wit of the people with the tragic history of the country. While visiting Ireland, I saw bogs for the first time. The bogs are dark, mossy, mud-like areas that preserve, beneath the surface, more than 2,000 years of Ireland’s history in the form of mummified plants, animals and people.

Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing,
There is a field. I'll meet you there.

Rumi

I worked on this in individual sections, you can see the works in progress here. 

11 comments:

  1. This is stunningly beautiful! You are so talented.
    I have been wanting to add a comment to your gorgeous site for quite some time.
    You see, my name is Jane and I actually live in a city called Janesville, and next year I am going to Ireland!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful texture - I only wish I could see this in person because I can tell from the photo that there is so much more to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is honestly fabulous. I wish I could see it IRL. It is a good photo but I know the real thing would be 100 times better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, I hope I get to see this in person to look at all the lovely stitched detail. maybe this summer? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Jane! I would love it if you would explain more about it. Are the pieces felt initially and then hand embellished? How did you join the sections? By hand, I'm assuming. It is really spectacular! Where will it live? Was it commissioned? Oh so many questions! LOL

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is probably my most favorite thing i've seen all year...it is simply amazable! i wish i could hold it in my hands and look at it....sigh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane... I REALLY LOVE this piece.. the colors speak to me.

    I just watched a documentary on Food Network about Ireland... it made me want to jump in the plane and take off for this beautiful country...

    See you work makes me feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely, positively the most gorgeous piece I have ever seen. I have broken one of the 10 commandments - I covet my neighbors goods.

    Jane, what a beautiful way to remember Ireland. I have wanted to go for yesrs, now I REALLY want to go. Who would guess that bogs could be so alluring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply exquisite! I'd love to run my hands all over this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails