Sunday, December 23, 2012

more pinecones ~ tiny tutorial


pinecone dec 2012
from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
1p
1. With pencil, very loosely sketch the shape 

2p
2. Loosely sketch in the triangular shapes to get the placement
3. Carefully draw the pine cone in pencil 
4. Then redraw and refine it in permanent ink 
6p
5. Erase the pencil
7p
6. Paint one shape at a time, varying the color as you work.
Leave lots of white of the page
8p
7. Notice the lights and dark areas of the cone 
9p
8. Once the watercolor dries, you can always go in
and add more darks
11p
9. Nearly done
pinecone dec 2012
9. Add a border and some background color, sign and date
christmas cards
10. Our Christmas cards. My husb wrote the letter, this year, and I did the artwork.
We alternate duties every year.
Check out my other pinecone tutorial, using a water soluble pencil.

I'll be teaching some new and some revived Sketching and Watercolor: Journal Style classes starting in January. ONLINE. Please go to my website and sign up to receive my newsletter (in the right hand column) to get the first word of my new online classes.

7 comments:

  1. This is awesome! So cool to embellish your newsletter with artwork. A treasure!

    Merry Christmas!
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Thank you so much for being so generous with your art and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Do you print at home or go to Staples? I may do that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks all! I just print them at home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful.
    I moved last year and forgot to send change of address cards so I won't be expecting to get one. But I sure would like to get together in person after the holidays.
    Merry Christmas to you and Don.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I struggle all the time to do sketching and painting.. Your tutorials are helping me overcome that. Thank you but wish you were here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails